Sunday, August 10, 2008

Friday, August 8, 2008

As I boarded the plane to San Franciso on August 7th, I had a newspaper article about 8.8.08 as the good luck symbol for the Chinese culture.

8.8.08 was going to be the day of the Opening of the Olympics and the day my direct contact with the Shinnyo-En foundation was going to start. I expected to have a big TV set to watch the Opening somewhere at the Marconi Center. There was one available, but I was so involved in what I did that I forgot about the Olympics Opening. I heard it was fantastic, but I still have not had time to see it.

The flight was on time and when I arrived to the Ramada Inn, Henry Lozano had left a message that he was going to be picking me up together with Jody Kennedy. When I talked to Liane she told me that Henrie knew me which at the end we found out could have been possible, but not at a previous retreat as he thought because this was my first.
Here is a little about Henry: "Henry C. Lozano was named Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of USA Freedom Corps on September 11, 2007. As Director of USA Freedom Corps, Mr. Lozano is charged with implementing President Bush's vision for volunteerism and service in America. Echoing the President's Call to Service, which launched the initiative in his 2002 State of the Union, Mr. Lozano is working to promote and expand opportunities for Americans looking to service causes greater than themselves." Henry started his work with the foundation that weekend. I do not remember his exact title, but he will do PR for the foundation for sure.


Henry Lozano picked Jody Kennedy and I from our hotels and drove us to the Marconi Center in the Foundation's car. As we drove to the Marconi Center he mentioned he always thanked his parents in his speeches and I realized he had been an award receipient at the NYLC Conference and that is where I had first heard of him. Once I knew my transportation was in place, I went walking around town. I found South San Francisco almost familiar. There were many Spanish connections. I even found a Peruvian restaurant. My only expectation of the retreat was that it was going to bring me peace, and I was not dissapointed.

Henry is a gentelman from the past. On the way, he fed us lunch and we met Nan from Blake School. Was this meant to be? It was amazing that by chance I was meeting people whose work I admired and people who I hope will consider mentoring the Casady program and me to improve both.


As I talked to Jody, I realized she had been in my life since Liane's presentation the first time I met the Shinnyo-En foundation at the NAIS Conference in Boston. One of the areas I need great help in in teleconferencing and she is an expert in this area. Was this a lucky day or what?

No comments: