Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Second International Service-Learning Conference in Teacher Education


June 22-24: After a long flight we arrived to the Corrib Village, school housing. It is clean, students work during the summer turning the school into an international learning center. There are students from all over the world studying from 2-6 weeks.

The rooms are stoic and clean. Bathrooms are shared by three rooms. The location of ours is convenient. Sometimes the rooms are hot, but the weather has been so nice that we cannot complain. Locals tell us that we brought good weather with us. This is not typical. It is supposed to be good until we leave.

The breakfast is continental. The registration office is in the hands oollege students working during the summer months.

Even without phone service, I was able to connect with parents via registration office. We purchased Internet for E10 for a whole week. Mac really liked having the computer at the room. I could not get into the Casady Website for a couple of days and my communication home after the arrived never got home.

Today is the 24th. After recuperating from 72 hours without sleep, Mack was feeling better today. The Halls picked her up in the morning and she went to Ashford Castle, the most expensive hotel in Ireland. I had to meet with the conference organizers so I met them for dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Hall took us to dinner to McDonaugh's. Great seafood, the best I have had in a long time.

I met the conference team after I met Patricia Walsh and Kym O'Reilly (conference@nuigalway.ie) They gave me the conference program and asked me to consider having summer school in their campus. The arrange location of classes, but our own teachers come to teach the courses. There are sports and recreation instructors available for soccer, rowing, fishing, hiking. Photography, art, European History might be options. I will bring this request to the attention of the summer school organizers.

No comments: